Monday, March 5, 2012

In Celebration of Markets!

I've been searching historical photo archives for pictures of NYC markets and street vendors. I've found them in many places -- I guess I'm supposed to credit the source, but these are all from public collections of the Brooklyn and NY Public Libraries for the most part. Some are straight Google searches.

Anyway, I think we're all happy that the market concept is being revived. So here, for those nostalgia buffs, are some photos of markets past.



Borough Park, Brooklyn -- we actually shopped here when I was a child. I think the building is still there.


10th Avenue in Manhattan -- Not exactly the model market, by today's standards!



 Merchants on Moore Street in Brooklyn



"Old" Washington Market in Manhattan


Wallabout Market, near the Brooklyn Navy Yard -- she was beautiful -- demolished for the war effort and expansion of the Navy Yard. She reflected the area's Dutch heritage.



Another view of Wallabout.


"Old Washington Market interior in Manhattan -- very dignified, with homage to the age of cast iron


"New" Washington Market exterior


Essex Street today

 


Essex Street -- still the queen of the remaining NYC Public Markets. But she is in an Urban Renewal Area on the Lower East side and prime for a housing site.


I don't remember where I got his one -- I didn't label it in the file. I'll find the reference later.

Hope you enjoyed this trip down memory lane -- more to come, as I unearth them.

Joan Bartolomeo
Moore Street Market

No comments:

Post a Comment